The following objectives are whole department objectives. Every math class in the high school strive to achieve the following:
- To provide a broad base of knowledge and skills as a foundation for continued learning.
- To enable students to become problem solvers, lifelong learners, self-sufficient and responsible citizens, complex thinkers, risk-takers, effective communicators, collaborative workers, and active listeners.
- To encourage students to draw upon past experiences, make connections to other disciplines, and apply skills to real-life situations.
- To develop in students the ability to ask questions using higher order thinking skills and recognize that any problem may have numerous approaches and solutions.
- To enable students to communicate their thinking using appropriate mathematical language in both written and verbal forms, including visual, i.e. model drawing.
- To provide the tools of mathematics (e.g., computers, calculators, measurement tools) for students to solve real-life problems.
- To develop in students the ability to apply deductive and inductive reasoning to the development of proofs and problem solving