Mission & Belief
The Social Studies Department in the Bangor Area School District is committed to producing an educated, well rounded American citizen, who will be able to intelligently participate in our democratic system and in world affairs while demonstrating the knowledge of a diverse population. The teaching staff is an experienced group of educators who are dedicated to their students. Please feel free to contact any member of the staff at any time.
The mission of the Bangor Area School District Community in the area of Social Studies is to develop a rich, comprehensive understanding of democratic ideals, cultural diversity & historical and economic concepts that provide students with the skills to be life-long learners, independent thinkers and active citizens who participate in society for the common good of all.
- It is through Social Studies that students learn, understand and preserve the principles, practices and institutions of a democratic United States of America.
- It is through Social Studies that students learn to be independent thinkers and cooperative learners in preparation for life long learning and for working in a compassionate, sustainable world.
- It is through Social Studies that a foundation is built which promotes a society for the common good of all.
- It is through Social Studies and the fostering of respect, dignity and acceptance of others that our students will understand cultural diversity and therefore be able to live in a global community.
STUDENT LEARNING GOALS
- Students will be able to understand and participate in a democratic society.
- Students will be able to recognize and accept similarities, differences and diversities in others.
- Students will be able to read, interpret and create maps, graphs and charts.
- Students will be able to understand and apply economic concepts.
- Students will be able to demonstrate a knowledge and awareness of the relationships and implications of historical facts, figures, events and issues.
- Students will become responsible, respectful, informed members of the community.
- Students will be able to stay current with the ever-changing world through the use of technology.